Developed in the 1960s, Piracetam was first introduced to the world as a brain-enhancing drug. The innovative invention soon became popular among those who strive for better cognitive performance around the globe. With its amazing and extraordinary benefits, it was then used as nootropics for focus and concentration as well as nootropics for memory. As Piracetam has only some insignificant side effects, it is now widely used to treat a number of common cognitive diseases, including ischemia, cognitive impairment, stroke, dementia, and dyslexia in children.
Furthermore, studies also showed that Piracetam can effectively slow down the fast aging of the brain in Down Syndrome patients. Besides, Piracetam can also effectively tackle seizures and epilepsies. As for curing mental illness and eliminating mental illness symptoms, it can be used to alleviate the symptoms of anxiety disorder, alcohol addiction, and clinical depression. Until now, Piracetam has been helping people who wish to sustain brain health and enhance cognitive function.
- Enhances learning and memory, and visual perception.
- Helps with concentration and attention.
- Deliver synaptic plasticity and neuron health.
- Piracetam is one of the first racetam cognitive enhancing nootropics developed.
- In 1964, Belgium lab UCB Pharma successfully created Piracetam, aiming to improve corpus callosum communication, which is also the key to the communication between the two hemispheres of the brain.
- The birth of Piracetam opened a new page in the development of brain health supplements.
- The developers of Piracetam named these kinds of brain health supplements as “nootropics”, which literally means “bend the mind”.
- The chemical formula of nootropics is similar to amino acid pyroglutamate only with a single side chain different.
- Piracetam was prescribed to many over the last 40 years under different names, including Cerebrospinal, Encefalux, Nootron, Nootropil, Psycotron, and Stimucortex.
- Another brain health supplement Rexam also contains Piracetam with cinnarizine added is popular in Bulgaria and Russia.
- Nowadays, Piracetam can be used by two groups of people, healthy young minds or declined and aged minds.
- For healthy young minds, Piracetam can help to boost cognitive functions like improving memory, concentration and learning abilities.
- Foraged minds, Piracetam can help to combat age-related cognitive decline, including dementia.
How Much Piracetam To Take?
- For children, the standard dosage limit for Piracetam is 40-100mg per kilogram of body weight.
- Usually, the lower end of the range, that is around 40-50 mg per kilogram, would be prescribed.
- As for adults, the standard dose is 1,200-4,800mg per day.
- The effective dose with the largest amount is 1,600 mg, making up to a total of 4,800 mg by taking it three times a day.
- Is Prescription needed? For maximum safety of users, it is recommended that Piracetam should be prescribed by medical professionals.
- Medical professionals, pharmacists, and doctors would prescribe an appropriate amount of Piracetam to suit the needs of different people and different situation.
- Although it is easy to purchase Piracetam, the prescription can ensure the dose is the best for you and that your progress is closely monitored by a healthcare professional.
- Another advantage of getting Piracetam prescription is the control over side effects.
- Despite the low chance of having side effects, consulting a medical professional while taking Piracetam can definitely help to relieve any possible side effects.
- Many may wonder what is the theory behind such kind of brain enhancement drugs and what influence would it do to the human body.
- Another common concern would be the way how Piracetam work affects other body functions.
How Does Piracetam Work?
Exactly how does Piracetam work is still not yet fully comprehended after various clinical and experimental studies.
It was only concluded that these brain enhancement drugs are used to modulate membrane fluidity, thus affecting the release of neurotransmitters and receptor binding in one’s brain as well as improving cell functioning and increasing cell membrane viscosity.
- It was also founded that Piracetam activates acetylcholine, causing the brain to take more oxygen while the blood flow is improved.
- An increase of brain blood flow can help to improve working memory and the overall cognitive performance.
- Moreover, a better blood circulation can help to combat age-related damage and decay in brain cells.
- Waste materials can also be transferred away from the body faster.
- Piracetam can effectively improve cell membrane permeability.
- This can help to prevent serious brain damage like the lack of oxygen and resulting in a stroke.
- Piracetam can also promote information transferences from the left-brain hemisphere to the right and vice versa.
- Furthermore, Piracetam increases the glucose level inside the brain, which can boost energy level and alertness.
- Studies also show that Piracetam can increase cyclic adenosine monophosphate, which can help to relieve the symptoms of an aging brain
The major benefit of Piracetam as memory enhancing drugs is to improve cognitive performance, boost energy and concentration level, and enhance overall brain health.
6 Major benefits of Piracetam
- It Treats Alzheimer’s Disease
- Treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Treat Dyslexia
- Improve memory and learning function
- Mood stabilization
- Enhance concentration
1. It Treats Alzheimer’s Disease
Piracetam can effectively prevent the damage and decay of an aging brain. Alzheimer’s Disease patients may suffer from memory loss, which can be relieved by taking Piracetam.
2. Treat Dyslexia
Dyslexia patients would have trouble remember words and phrase, serious patients would not be able to recognize the alphabets. Taking Piracetam can help them to focus better and at the same time improve their memory, thus relieving the symptoms of dyslexia.
3.Treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is commonly seen among children. ADHD patients would have trouble concentrating on one task at a time, while Piracetam can help to increase concentration level. Therefore, it can help to ADHD patients to focus on their tasks.
4. Improve Memory and Learning Function
- It can be used to increase the transference rate of acetylcholine to synaptic receptors and bind to the AMPA glutamate receptor sites, thus improving memory, learning, and cognitive performance.
- This function is commonly known as synaptic plasticity, which means how well one’s brain can create and maintain new connections between brain neurons.
- As communication between neurons is improved, the rate of information transference in the hippocampus increased.
- While the hippocampus is in charge of the memory function of the brain, this particular brain function can be enhanced.
- Among all brain enhancing supplements, Piracetam is one of the safest you can find in the market as it has the lowest amount of toxins.
- Its function to improve memory, learning, and cognitive performance is widely recognized by the scientific society.
5. Mood stabilization
- Despite the fact that Piracetam is commonly known as memory enhancing drugs or brain improvement drugs, it can also significantly increase mental energy level, improve concentration and boost work motivation.
- Piracetam can effectively increase the blood circulation inside the brain, thus enhancing the oxygen flow of neural tissues and ultimately improving the metabolism inside the brain.
- Several studies have shown that Piracetam can increase the level of Dopamine circulating in the brain and dopamine is responsible for producing the feeling of happiness.
- As a result, for depression patients, Piracetam can help to increase the low level of dopamine in their brains and relieve the symptoms of clinical depression like chronic sadness and suicidal thoughts.
- Another two common symptoms of depression are long-term fatigue and sleepiness.
- These can be treated with Piracetam by promoting the patients’ energy levels. It is proved that oxygen and glucose are two essential nutrients that a brain needs for proper functioning.
- As Piracetam promotes the oxygen flow of the brain, it is alleged that it can eliminate the feelings of tedium that comes along with depression.
- Certain clinical studies also revealed that Piracetam can decrease anxious thoughts and produce calmness inside one’s brain.
6. Enhance Concentration
- As mentioned above, Piracetam is known to be able to increase the production of two types of neurotransmitters, namely acetylcholine, and NMDA glutamate receptor sites.
- Besides its renowned benefit in enhancing learning performance and memory, Piracetam can also significantly improve concentration.
- Many users reported that they can remember facts and data better while taking this cognitive enhancement supplement.
- A number of users also reported that they can recall memory faster and learn new concepts better while taking Piracetam on a daily basis.
- Student users reported that Piracetam can successfully assist their studies by improving critical thinking skills and logical reasoning.
Although Piracetam is one of the safest brain-enhancing drugs available on the market, some slight side effects might occur to certain users. Therefore, it is advised that you should get Piracetam prescribed by a medical professional, who knows how to prevent the side effect. Below are some common side effects:
- weight increase
A few users reported they have diarrhea on the first few days after taking Piracetam. However, this is only temporary and after the body is used to the existence of a new substance, the symptoms would be relieved.
Some users reported a slight weight gain after taking Piracetam. This may be due to fluid retention. The weight gain would not be permanent and significant.
Some users reported a mild headache after taking Piracetam. Yet, this symptom is only temporary and could be easily eliminated.
As Piracetam is water-soluble and has a low level of toxicity, it would not affect the human body negatively. According to user reviews, Piracetam is usually well tolerated by human bodies and no significant side effects is found. A common side effect would be a mild headache.
How to prevent the side effect?
Despite the little side effect after taking Piracetam, if you feel any discomfort, you should always consult your family doctor.
Some people may be concerned whether Piracetam is legal. In the United States, it is considered an Investigational New Drug. Although it is not yet approved in the US as a drug according to its medical content, it is only due to the lack test results by the agency instead of the lack of safety of such drug. In other countries, Piracetam is approved for human use and is often prescribed by doctors to treat different diseases. It is free for purchase and uses in Canada, Europes and Asia. In the United Kingdom, Piracetam must be prescribed by doctors. As one of the best nootropics in the world, it is safe and legal to use even for beginners. It is tested by laboratory and history that it can successfully improve brain function and neuron communication.
There are a lot of positive reviews given by Piracetam users. Most users reported positive outcome on cognitive functions including memory, concentration, learning abilities and energy level. Below are a few common feedbacks from the real Piracetam reviews.
Most users reported an increase in concentration level, including both students and working people. Some user reported that while doing meticulous work, taking Piracetam can help them to focus better.
“A number of users reported an improvement in memory after taking Piracetam. Some users suggested that they can remember new knowledge and old knowledge much better than they did before, even for little kids”.
“Some users with anxiety disorder or general anxiety problem reported that their anxiety level decreased after taking Piracetam. It effectively calmed their minds and help to quiet down the noise in their minds”.
Increased energy level: Several users reported that their energy level increased after taking Piracetam. One user with depression suggested that after taking Piracetam, it helped him to have more motivation to work and alleviate the symptoms of his depression.
The Prominence of Piracetam increased time to time, and it has an important role as a natural cognitive enhancer. Although studies have reported some side effects for Piracetam, medical experts had come up with feasible solutions to tackle these problems to ensure the safety of users. Therefore, please rest assured while you are enjoying the spectacular benefits of Piracetam.
- The effect of piracetam on ataxia: clinical observations in a group of autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia patients.
- Piracetam and piracetam-like drugs: from basic science to novel clinical applications to CNS disorders.
- Design and study of piracetam-like nootropics, controversial members of the problematic class of cognition-enhancing drugs.
- Some effects of piracetam (UCB 6215, Nootropyl) on chronic schizophrenia.
- Pharmacokinetics of piracetam: a study on the bioavailability with special regard to renal and non-renal elimination
- Piracetam: physiological disposition and mechanism of action.
- Piracetam improves mitochondrial dysfunction following oxidative stress.
- Effect of piracetam on cerebral glucose metabolism in Alzheimer’s disease as measured by positron emission tomography.
- Effect of Piracetam on electrocorticogram and local cerebral glucose utilization in the rat.
- The action of piracetam on 14C-glucose metabolism in normal and posthypoxic rat cerebral cortex slices.
- Nootropic drugs positively modulate alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid-sensitive glutamate receptors in neuronal cultures.
- Piracetam and TRH analogues antagonise inhibition by barbiturates, diazepam, melatonin and galanin of human erythrocyte D-glucose transport.
- A double-blind placebo controlled trial of piracetam added to risperidone in patients with autistic disorder.
- Structural study of piracetam polymorphs and cocrystals: crystallography redetermination and quantum mechanics calculations.
- The relationship between the behavioral effects of cognition-enhancing drugs and brain acetylcholine. Nootropic drugs and brain acetylcholine